Supporting the youth of the community

Growing up, my brother, sister and I were 4-H members and loved showing cattle at the Sheboygan County Fair. The fair was the perfect end to summer. Because 4-H helped shape me into the farmer I am today, we always do what we can to support the youth of the county.

This year at the fair, one of our employees’ daughters, Savannah, was in the dairy youth contest. She showed a dairy cow at the fair and won Grand Champion Holstein. The grand champion cow and the top showperson in each age group are featured in the Dairy Youth Showcase where people can bid on their animals. Unlike the meat animal sale, buyers don’t get to keep the animal they are bidding on – this sale is purely for youth support.

40% of the winnings are retained in the county for the dairy youth committee. This money goes to support different activities and experiences for the 4-Hers involved in the dairy project during the year. The other 60% goes directly to the exhibitor to support their involvement and development in agriculture.

This year, we “purchased” Savannah’s cow. It was really special to not only support a young community member, but also to support our employee’s daughter.

Sheboygan County Fair

This entry was posted in Dairy News. Bookmark the permalink.